Several cars capture the American imagination each year. Some for fuel economy, others for their iconic position in our history. Unfortunately, a number of these cars have a lot more buzz generated about them than they deserve. Here are five cars that are popular right now, but should be avoided by savvy car buyers.
- Honda Civic. The Civic is still suffering from poor design and substandard handling.
- Jeep Liberty. The interior is cramped and noisy. Poor fuel efficiency caps off this vehicle’s qualities.
- Toyota Prius C. Fuel efficient, yes, but cramped, noisy, and poor acceleration overshadow the MPG.
- Dodge Grand Caravan. Well appointed and comfortable. Loose trim, squeaks, and frequent repairs, as well.
- Ford Edge. The V6 Edge has had numerous reports of poor reliability. Consumer Reports rates the Edge as having ”much-worse-than-average” reliability.
There are many vehicles in the same categories as these that offer better quality and ride. Spend a little time reading online reviews and checking out nhtsa.gov before you apply for an auto loan for any of these vehicles.